Pages

Search This Blog

Monday, June 24, 2013

Granadilla and yoghurt sponge



I was greeted with a lovely treat yesterday; home grown granadillas, fresh from someone's vegetable garden. I decided to bake. I decided to invent an easy cake, I made the easy cake using cup measurements - my favourite, and it was delicious. Light and full of granadilla, citrus burst. That's all I have to say about that really. Try it, let me know how it turns out x

 Granadilla and yoghurt sponge cake


Ingredients:
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
3/4 cup granadilla pulp (approx 3-4 granadillas)
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 cup low fat yoghurt
2 cups self raising flour

For the icing:
4 cups icing sugar
1 cup granadilla pulp


Method:
Preheat oven to 160*C.
Grease a cake tin, I used a bundt cake tin but you can use a loaf or round tin, otherwise line 2 cup cake trays with paper casings.
Beat the sugar and eggs until light, fluffy and doubled in volume.
Add the remaining ingredients and fold through.
Pour into the cake tin or fill the cup cake casings 3/4 of the way and bake for 15 min for cup cakes and 50-60 min for a large cake - to test doneness, insert a skewer into the centre and if it comes out clean then it's done.
Let the cake cook completely before sliding a knife around the edges and easing it out.
Let either cake or cup cakes cool completely before icing.
To make the icing, sift the icing sugar into a mixing bowl, add the pulp and mix until you have a smooth and thick granadilla icing. Spoon over cake/cupcakes and devour.


2 comments:

  1. I love granadillas and this sponge cake looks delicious, Kate!

    ReplyDelete