A simple pie to please all tastes. Chicken and leek pie is comfort food at it's best and with leeks in season it's completely affordable. It won't take you long to make and will put smiles on dials in a second. Plus...making your own pastry has never been this easy.
Chicken and leek pie
- Big bunch of leeks (about 5 leeks)
- 4 tbsp butter
- 4 tbsp Sasko cake flour
- 4 cups milk
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp thyme
- 1 roast chicken
For the pastry:
- 250g margarine/butter (at room temp)
- 1 packet Sasko Quick treats scone mix
- 100ml cold water
- To make the pastry simply mix together the scone mixture with the butter/margerine either in a food processor or using your finger tips.
- Once you have a bread-crumb like consistency and no clumps of butter/marg you can add the cold water and mix together to form a dough.
- Cover with clingfilm and put in the fridge to cool for 30 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180*C.
- Take all the meat off the chicken carcass, put it into a mixing bowl and tear into similar sized shreds.
- Wash and slice the leeks.
- Put 2 tsp butter in a pan on medium heat, add the leeks and saute them for about 10 minutes until soft, then add the remaining butter and the flour and stir for a further minute.
- Now add the milk, salt, pepper and thyme and simmer until thickened enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 4-5 minutes. Once thickened, pour the mixture over the chicken and mix well.
- Spoon the filling into a pie dish.
- Roll the pastry out to a thickness of about 7mm and to a size that is 2cm larger than the perimeter of the dish you are using.
- Use leftover pastry to line the edge of the dish.
- Carefully place the sheet of pastry on top and decorate with pastry leaves/writing/flowers, whatever you fancy really. Brush with some egg wash and put in the oven to bake for 25 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve with a simple salad or mixed veggies